Olivia -
There is a reputable place in Monterrey Mexico associated with John Hopkins that's doing stem cells for ALS. PALS (people with ALS) rave about it, but there haven't been any meaningful results, as far I can make out. It's NOt the one in Monterrey that was on 60 minutes. Did you see that tonight?
I sent forms into to Louisiana and Atlanta for the FDA stem cell trials. I don't know if I should be bothering with more letters or how people get chosen.
According to some scientists it could be decades until they get a cure but they might discover something sooner to slow it down greatly. Like the AIDS cocktail.
Someone recommended I take cinnamon and honey every day. It's supposed to be good for your immune system. Cinnamon from the grocery store isn't really cinnamon, I discovered. And in large quantities could be harmful? (I don't know).
Thanks for going on the walk. I'm going to DC for an ALS Awareness weekend in May. I think I'll meet my New York state representatives. It should be cool. I'll meet a few of the people I've met on PLM.
Hopefully the weather will warm up.
So I can get to the park this week.
Maybe we can meet there.
I take my schedule a day at a time.
It feels like I have no time. I guess because everything takes me so long.
And I sleep nine of ten hours.
Charlie
3 comments:
I WATCHED 60 MIN. TO ME IT CAME OFF THAT ALL STEM CELLS DID NOT WORK WITCH IS B.S. I THINK 60 MIN. IS ALSO A SNAKE DOCTOR WORKING FOR BIG MONEY, ONE SIDED PROGRAM [ COLE ]
It was interesting/disturbing to witness the compartmentalization that continues to exist within the research community. The U of M specialist says flatly that stem cells harvested from blood cannot form neural cells. Have they actually tried the theory on humans, or did they stop with the mouse? Does he know about TCA and their FDA approved trial, trying to accomplish what he believes is impossible?
I understand that they had to slam the scammer, but to say categorically that it can't be done is irresponsible, especially in the midst of FDA approved trials.
John
Exposing the corruption doesn't fix the problem, I think that CBS failed to follow thru and complete the story. Did anybody look at 60 minutes ratings? Don't you all remember the stories of 60 minutes that have shocked the nation multiple times and the benefits for the program? I am not saying that exposing the scams is not legitimate.
I believe the results of the TV production has devastated a lot of suffering people who need hope to stay alive. What if we place hidden cameras in financial institutions, politicians' offices, hotels, police departments, hospitals and many other places. How would it feel to witness a rape, a murder, a financial scam, torture or so many evil things that occur on regular basis? There are evil people who prey on the sick and elderly and take advantage when they can to make a buck. There are however other people who care and want to help or will do what is best. What about the family members of PALS who passed away and spend their lives and everything they have to help others, what about the foundations, the people who pray every day, the philanthropists, the doctors and researchers who are in constant search to treat incurable diseases, many times with minimal or no income?
I believe the result of 60 minutes was a hard blow to every sick person in order to get ratings. The scientists they used in the interviews had no experience with humans, they are very well known authorities who write scientific papers about molecules, chemicals and changes in outcome in rats and mice.
Do you know why many scientists are involved in labs and animal research? Because they have grants, that have to be renewed annually, because the grants assure their positions in the institutions they work for, because they cover the salaries of everyone, the equipment and guaranties, the perpetuation of a scientific position for life. Grants are usually given for preclinical studies, that means lab and animal studies, not for human studies. Keeping the grants once they are obtained requires to show that the money has been spent in research every year, so that the flow never stops. The results don't count. Are there hidden cameras to show how these institutions and scientists work? Yes, maybe it is just a felony, nothing compared to Dr. Stowe and Morales. I completely agree that Stowe and Morales did something very wrong.
Let's look at the experts like Dr Larry Goldstein and Sean Morrison. As far as what I could find, they are very reputable professionals who have made great contributions to basic science from the production of fertilizers to the study of chemicals, and neurons of a fruit fly. Sorry Dr. Morrison but saying that the cure for ALS is decades away based on cultured tissue study in the lab is not only irresponsible, but also disrespectful for the patients who are trying to get a grasp on life and other scientists who have been performing serious research in humans around the world and in this country. Dr. Morrison failed to mention that there are human stem cell protocols approved in this country to treat ALS. Is there any hope?
Many people travel abroad for treatments. CBS should focus in companies abroad or in the US that are performing serious research if the real interest is to help patients with ALS. There are two companies in this country that have FDA approved protocols to treat ALS with stem cells. Why did CBS didn't even mention that?
Can 60 minutes broadcast a story with hope. With all the positive things about the potential help for PALS that are happening here and around the world?
Post a Comment