Friday, April 23, 2010
LOGAN'S RUN
Jackie (my 72 year old neighbor) pops into my apartment to ask me if I need anything from outside.
I'm sitting on the couch with cushions piled under me so I can stand up again. I'm reading threads on "Patient's Like Me" my ALS user's site. Jackie stands before me, animated and energized; like she came in to do a monologue. She tells me she had a dream about her father. He winked at her.
"He's trying to tell me something, but WHAT?! I just don't know. And Charlie, he looked so young!"
(pause)
"Do you know that everyone on the other side is thirty."
This I find hysterical. I laugh so hard I cover my mouth so I won't drool.
"WHAT?!!! It's true. Haven't you heard that before? I'm not making this stuff up.
In the next world everyone is thirty!"
"Jackie, what happens if you die at twelve?"
This quiets Jackie, but only for a moment.
"Charlie! I don't know. You'll have to read the book. Sylvia Brown. Have you read her?"
"No."
"You want me to get her book out of the library? I'm going to get you that book Charlie. Sylvia Brown! She could really be important for you."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment