Tuesday, August 18, 2009

(and I am up)

Today.
I call two alternative doctors.
I stretch in the shower.
I "bike" to Chelsea.
I get my hair cut at Chelsea Barbers.
I have the door held open for me as I leave by the woman who runs the place, who owns it.
I have two hotdogs at F&B Gudtfood on West 23rd. meh.
I totter across the street to the Chelsea Cinema and the movie is sold out.
I totter back across the street.
I fall.
I lie on the pavement.
I lie there as people pass.
I look around for something to grab onto... nothing.
I think, I think how am I going to stand back up?


"You need help?'
"Yeah, I do."
"Did you hurt yourself? Did you break something?"
"No, I'm fine, can you, can you help me up?
"Sure I can help you up."
"okay, thanks, watch out because I'm kind of heavy."

(and I am up)

"Thank you so much."
"Are you sure you're okay."
"Yeah, I'm fine, you see I have weak legs. I have a neurological disease, so when I fall, I can't get up by myself. I'm actually fine, I'm going to get on that bike over there, believe it or not."
"Well, you take care of yourself, okay, you take good care of yourself."
"I will, thank you, thank you so much."

I bike to CVS and buy ear plugs for swimming and super glue for broken sunglasses.
I walk in, an employee spots me and insists that she look for my merchandise while I stay where I am.

I bike home.
I swim in the pool with my new excellent ear plugs.
I glue my fingers together trying to mend my trendy sunglasses.
I talk to Mattie on the phone about getting an alternative doctor in the city, about the power of nutrition, about falling down on west 23rd Street and being helped up by a kind stranger.

No comments: