Saturday, August 14, 2010

POTTED PALM

I fall out of my new hospital bed and land on the hard parquet floor.
I'm not hurt but I cant' move. It's clear to me that my progression is moving because I can't really even sit up or pull myself along the floor to get to a phone.

I have to get to the bathroom.

I have rolled under a very large potted palm leafed plant in a big fat terra cotta container.

There is my emergency button - hanging around my neck - a sexy pendant , a necklace.
But I don't want to use it because I don't want to experience what I know will be the ensuing drama.

I lie there. It's around eight in the morning. I make various attempt to save myself. I can't move.
I push the button.

Ten minutes later the ER crew is in my apartment, commenting on my nice view, playfully chastising me for not wearing  a seatbelt.

And I openly weep. Because I have no control and there are strangers surrounding me in my apartment at eight in the morning. Thirty minutes earlier I was dreaming about summer stock.

No comments: