Sunday, May 16, 2010

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

Roll call begins.

The emcee is Kate Lindner, a soap opera actress from "The Young and the Restless."













The theme for the opening of the conference is a bus ride through the United States.

There are three large screens across the room with which they project appropriate images for each state. 















When we get to Tennessee, pictures of Elvis appear and "You Ain't Nothing but a Hound Dog" is piped though the sound system. 

"Greater New York" gets Sinatra's "New York, New York" and a Yankee's logo.

Kate plays "roving reporter" on the bus, running round the ball room with a mic and interviewing PALS and caretakers.  Kate is tireless and determined but her repartee is a little lacking.

"Now who are you?! Let's you and I, have a one on one!!"

(and)

"We're going to fix this thing!!!"

(and)

"Is this fun or what?!"


Kate has beautiful buttery soap opera hair and is teeny tiny. She wears a creamy white suit with two big white buttons on the back. Her creamy coat swings easily around her wasp waist. She's an expert in high heels! (My mother would be impressed).


People stand at the mic and say,


"Remember the Alamo!"


"The state of Illinois has pledged one million dollars!"


"Attack the hill!"


Kate keeps things moving along. But the whole thing feels like a kid's show. (I should know, I did dozens of them in the nineties). And in all fairness, it's a tough house. A percentage of the audience can't speak or clap their hands. This pushes Kate to try harder. I see flop sweat on her TV ready makeup. But I appreciate her effort. Her brother died of ALS.


And, I observe myself. Always the observer, never the participant. Always a little snarky (my mother's word) never letting go to the moment. (I guess I save that for the stage).

No comments: