Sunday night's big dinner is pretty nice: lavish buffets, cash bars, lovely tables.
My friend CAR (who lives in DC) joins me.
Car tells me she needs a drink right away because of her own (very current) life struggle.
(Her struggle is bad, but not as bad as mine).
As CAR said,
"Charlie, you don't pity anyone anymore, do you?"
"nope."
It's great to see CAR. She gathers food at the buffets for both of us. The buffets are extensive and really good.
CAR orders a double and I get glass of red wine from the cash bar. People at my table argue over who gets to buy my drink. (I'm the belle of the ball).
But my capacity to drink wine is getting less and less.
Somehow it's hard to swallow (or something).
We sit at a round table with the other New Yorkers. We meet a family from upstate New York, the Vinci's. They're father, a war hero from Pearl Harbor, died of ALS. I end up spending much of my time with them.
After we get settled, I try to dig into CAR's crisis (avoiding my own) but she's not having it.
So, I pull out my Flip camera and interview people at the table.
It's a joy to have CAR there. She's so presentable and charming.
After dinner we go to a candlelit vigil in Liberty Park, just outside of the hotel.
People stand at a podium and tell their terrible stories.
A group of high school students from the Duke Ellington High School sing inspirational songs from "Rent" and Whitney Houston ballads. They're really good. I try to show my appreciation by making the "whooo! - WHOO!" sound. My voice can't really do it anymore.
We're handed candles. The capital glows in the background.
I'm not sure what I'm experiencing or how I fit in.
Sunday, May 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment