Saturday, February 27, 2010

BIG BALL IN THE SKY

Jackie is doing the dishes. It's three in the afternoon and I'm still with coffee. I haven't eaten. I'm still undressed.

I'm reluctant to leave my apartment since I broke my tooth. So I sit on the couch and drink cold coffee and read Jackie the headlines from Yahoo News.

"Simon Cowell is getting married."

"Oh she's beautiful Charlie, Simon chose well, she's a very beautiful woman. That's a good match. That Simon - he knows what he's doing."

Jackie finds an empty wine bottle and tosses it into my recycling.

"... a dead solider."


"Says here Chile had an earth quake."

"You know what? We had one in Jersey last weekend. My daughter laughed at me and said it was probably just a low flying plane. Next day it was on the news, earthquake in Jersey!"

"And they're expecting a tsunami in Hawaii?!"

"Charlie, I tell you I don't sleep at night. And you know why? Because we're just a big ball in the sky. Why are there so many disasters? I know it's depressing. But that's what's happening... disasters! Ice burgs floating away, the penguins don't know where to go, big waves washing away islands, and... earthquakes in Jersey!

I'm telling you, we're just a big ball in the sky.

No comments: