Saturday, June 12, 2010

AROO, A NEW ARC (PART 5) WITNESSING A TERRIBLE THING


I call my sister. My sister tells me to call Mattie. 
I call Mattie (but she doesn't pick up) so I call Susan and tell her to come over. 

"NOW."

"I was going to wait until Mattie gets there."

"No, come now, take a cab. NOW."

I call the animal hospital in Chelsea, but they're closing and tell me I'll have to wait and bring him in the morning.

"That's no good" I tell them, him, whoever.

They give me the name of a vet who makes home visits. I call and leave a message for her. 

(When I leave messages (now) I have to begin by apologizing for my speech, "you'll have to listen carefully," I say, "because I have some difficulty speaking.")

The travelling vet (later) leaves a message that she is traveling out of town. I will have to bring Aroo to a 24 hour hospital in midtown, the human equivalent of a cold, desperate, emergency room.

After making my calls, I wait on the scooter. 
I am  continually on the scooter like a little kid in love with his Big Wheel.

Jackie unpacks recently delivered organic groceries... and I begin to laugh.

"You're laughing Charlie, what's so funny?"

The soaring drama?
The unfolding disaster?
The complete lack of control?


I'm held in time.

Witnessing a terrible thing makes me feel giddy.

"I'm not sure, Jackie."

No comments: