Sunday, August 9, 2009

SEPTEMBER










I spend the day cleaning, doing laundry, and putting away groceries.
Siska (my cleaning partner) arrives at 5 to assist. She vacuums, cleans the floors, the tub.
She cleans the glass on my pictures, like a real cleaning professional.

She rearranges things in my kitchen cabinets.
She puts things back for me.
She picks things off the floor for me.

By 8 o'clock, my apartment is so clean and tidy, it's a joy.

After a dip in the pool (my apartment building has a swimming pool on the third floor)

Perched at my kitchen counter, I steam mussels and watch old TV shows on my laptop.
I spill hot butter on the newly washed floor.
The hot butter will have to wait to be cleaned up until Siska's next visit.

Later I watch a dvd of TO BE OR NOT TO BE.
Mel Brooks, Ann Bancroft.
So refreshing, so funny, I catch a reflection of myself on my laptop, grinning.

I love the film quality and the art direction, seem so wonderfully dated (it was only 1983).
There is a purity and simplicity to his work.
I admire Mel Brooks for his unstoppable vision.

After the movie, I sleep well.

But in the morning my hips and legs throb. They don't work as well as they did yesterday.
I was on my feet too much. When I work my legs too much, I actually cause them damage.

It seems like a big jump from one day to the next. Noticeable.

(Oh. So this is how it goes)

I shower and instead of dressing I fall back into my couch.

I can't get off the couch.
I stare at my laptop.
I read email.

I contacted someone on Craig's List (late last night) about an apartment swap.
Paris for New York, one week in September.
He responds with photos and possible dates.

(I wonder if I'll be able to walk in September)

I will.

No comments: