
She picks me up at the train station in Baltimore.
We drive (with Kite in the back seat) to John Hopkins Hospital.
We stop at Kentucky Fried on the way for Kite.
I eat a piece. Deeee - licious!
John Hopkins is enormous and clean and (well run) with nice people behind all the (check in) desks.
I get shown into a little room and CAR comes with me.
Kite is led to a special area for kids. I am treated like a respected film director at a prestegious film festival.
After some talk,
I am told I (most certainly) have this fatal disease and when I will die, is any one's guess. Everyone has their own path.
I sweat it out.
All of the therapists and specialists are upbeat, like I've elected to take on this disease, so here's what I should expect,
here's what I might need. Catalogs appear, leg braces, a friendly visit from the muscular dystrophy association.
I (again) try to worm my way out of the diagnosis. But the head nurse prationer is not going for it.
I get a brace for my leg.
Sign a lot of papers.
and then CAR and I decide to go out for a stiff drink.
We don't know where to go (really).
We have competing GPS systems on our phones. These little systems are SO great. So easy to get around with a vibrant map in your palm (a little moving dot) showing where you are - moving as you move. (I ponder) in my exhaustion - what other super cool modern conveniences might I miss out on?
CAR brazenly parks in front of a fire hydrant in front of the restaurant we've chosen. We eat meatballs, and have delicious wine. This is a really great charming Italian restaurant. It is so good (in fact) that I may go back.
CAR gets a parking ticket (we can see through the window) and I elect to miss my train, I decide to take the next one, incurring a $30 fee.
This is the way CAR and I are.
We are having a great time. It feels nice. We've made a Bonnie and Clyde escape from John Hopkins.
Deadly disease? Ha! I'll have the Shiraz (TWO!) and can you bring me some of that crab toast?
Usually (in this kind of escape) you are getting a way with something, and make a plan for how this scrape won't get you.
But this time, for me, I am out of luck. I am only getting a way with something while I sit in this Italian restaurant with Car and Kite. The present becomes very illuminated.
Car drives me to the train. I sit in the bar car. I write. I read. I am exhausted.
No comments:
Post a Comment